Electricity is essential for our daily lives. It lights up our homes, allows us to heat or cool down our food, provides entertainment, keeps us warm and warm, and so much more. Although electricity is a great convenience and has made our lives easier, it does have its risks and hazards.
This article will provide information about basic electrical safety to protect your loved ones from untoward events. It is a good idea to hire a licensed residential electrician in Port Macquarie for any electrical work. These are some basic safety tips for electrical work at home.
Replace or Repair Damaged Electrical Cords
Faulty power cables can be a serious safety risk for your home as they could lead to electrocution or fires. Every extension and power cord must be checked for cracking or fraying. These cords should be checked for cracking and fraying regularly. Cords should not be stapled or fastened to any furniture. They should not be inserted under furniture or rugs as furniture can cause damage to wire insulation and can cause it to become brittle. Cords below rugs can also overheat and present a risk of tripping.
Extension cords are a common way to overload your electrical outlets. You should hire an electrician to install additional outlets in your rooms. It would be best if you considered the total electrical load that a power cord would support when considering purchasing one.
Provide Appliances with Enough Space for Air Circulation to Prevent Overheating
Insufficient air circulation can cause equipment and appliances to heat up, resulting in short out. Make sure your appliances are placed in an area with adequate air circulation. Keep electrical equipment out of confined spaces. For maximum electrical safety, it is important to keep flammable items away from electronics and appliances. Electric and gas dryers should be kept at least one foot away from walls to ensure safety. To ensure safety, it is a good idea to call an electrician.
Avoid potential accidents
Built-in heaters and portable heaters must be kept clear of combustibles. Proper furnace safety requires that all combustibles be kept away from heating devices. Portable heaters should not be used near curtains. It would be best if you placed it on a stable or steady surface. If the circuit is short, it should be immediately removed from the surface.
Keep your exhaust fans clean to avoid fire hazards
Exhaust fans can become clogged and dirty in some appliances. This can cause appliances to work harder and reduce their lifespan. Dirty exhaust fans can cause excessive heat or accumulation of hazardous gases. This can lead to electric fire hazards. Cleaning exhaust fans regularly would help to avoid such dangers. After following the safety guidelines, an electrician can disassemble an exhaust fan and clean it or repair it.
Unplug All Unused Appliances to Reduce Potential Risks
Unplug appliances when you’re not using them. This will reduce phantom drain and save electricity. Unplugging any unused equipment or appliances also helps to prevent sudden power surges and overheating.